Friday, April 5, 2019

Dairy Free Pesto



Dairy free pesto that doesn’t have any parmesan cheese in it, making it paleo, whole30 and vegan. But still so delicious, you won’t even miss the cheese!

I use toasted pecans in my pesto, because I love the flavor of pecans and they are much more affordable than pine nuts. But you could substitute pine nuts or almonds or even walnuts! Use whichever you have on hand.

I do add in more salt than I would if this pesto did have parmesan, but since it doesn’t have parmesan it can use the extra saltiness.

I love this dairy free pesto served on whole grain pasta, zucchini pasta, grilled meats, and vegetables.

Also, this pesto freezes BEAUTIFULLY! I store all my homemade dairy free pesto in wide mouth pint mason jars, which are freezer safe. In the summer when I have an abundance of basil in my garden, I make lots of pesto and freeze it so I can enjoy it all winter long!



INGREDIENTS
  • 2 packed cups basil leaves
  • 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted pecans (or pinenuts, almonds or walnuts!)
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 cup olive oil (may need 1 to 2 tablespoons more to reach consistency you desire)
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. In a food processor, combine the basil, pecans, garlic, salt and pepper. Pulse until all the ingredients are finely chopped. Add in the olive oil, and pulse another 10-15 times until combined. Makes about 2 cups.d. Makes about 2 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment